Wednesday 7 August 2013

PCOS - My Story


Image courtesy of pinterest

Someone once described PCOS as having a strand of pearls wrapped around your ovary, and I thought, how gorgeous! In reality Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome is not so gorgeous, yes there are small cysts around the ovaries (that every women has but anything over 12 per ovary is considered cystic I'm pretty sure!?) but to liken the havoc they reek on your body and mind to a string of lustrous creamy pearls is far too complimentary!.

I was diagnosed with PCOS at the age of 16 after suffering with chronic menstrual cramps and sometimes no cycle all together. Fainting, vomiting and unable to function kind of cramps were the ones I had and was given a script of the pill (Yasmin) and sent on my merry way. I lasted about a week taking the pill and then just lived with the symptoms up until now. Some years I had maybe 4 menstrual cycles at the most all heavy, painful and mentally draining. Now in my early 30's I have some seriously happening facial hair, adult acne, my cycles are still unpredictable and the weight is now not budging amidst the sugar & carb free low low calorie diet I've been on for about a year.

Some people believe that PCOS involves the over production of male hormones or insulin or a mix of the two, this then effects the ovaries by inhibiting their ability to produce adequate amounts of  the hormones needed to support ovulation and the sufficient maturation of your egg and this where cycles are missed and PCOS induced infertility can be the result. 

The good news is there are a number of ways to assist in overcoming or lessening the effects of PCOS based infertility as well as lifestyle changes that can support and increase the success of your treatments medical or otherwise.

xx


No comments:

Post a Comment